Monday, August 11, 2008

Positive Attitude

Orchid - Bird of Prey

Jeffrey Gitomer is a passionate writer who wrote several books about positive attitude. He said, “If you think that I’m nuts, you may be right. But I’m a nut with a positive attitude, baby.” He is extremely positive and upbeat. It is fun and exciting to read his books.

The phrase from him impressed me most is: “The main reason people rain on my parade is because they have no parade of their own.” This line echoes back in my heart intensely. When some people know you can do something or you can achieve something, they will not give you encouragement for they would rather see you as a failure. They say bad words to ridicule you, discourage you or fail you. If the rain they pour upon you really halts you, they will feel satisfied and confirmed, “See, he is a loser.”  So, don’t let people lead you away from your parade, keep on going until you succeed. Show them you are a success and they are just cynical.

We can be more positive. We can think in this way: because there is wind and rain during my parade, I can see the magnificent rainbow at the end of parade. No one can succeed easily. The bitterness and hardship only make the fruit of success more sweet and tasty.

Wherever you go, you can’t avoid negative people. They will hang around all life long. Don’t lower your level to argue back. If you use your precious time to improve yourself and to reach you goal, you will find you become much better than them. If they are unable to be counterproductive to you, they are counterproductive to themselves. If some people want to prove they are mean-spirited and bad, provide them the stage to do so.

If you have enough inner strength and self-belief, you can take a lot of mean words as compliments and nutrition. Ever endured a nearly nervous breakdown, I have got the strength to take some people's purposeful mean words as praise. I can't prevent the other people's behavior, but I have total control of my attitude. I smile back.

Who smiles last, who smiles best.

2 comments:

Lance said...

"I can't prevent the other people's behavior, but I have total control of my attitude." - this says it so well. Control what we can control. We have the choice...

Jade Meng said...

Yes, we can't control the outside world, but we can control our own mind. You have an inspirational blog. I will visit often.